ZGF Los Angeles is looking for a creative, curious, and motivated individual interested in developing their knowledge of, and experience in laboratory planning and design. The position will support the lab planning effort and the entire architectural team with the development, execution, and completion of technologically advanced, state of the future laboratory projects.
ZGF’s culture emphasizes team work and interactive processes that help strengthen design while providing an environment that encourages learning and professional growth.
Projects will include research, testing, and teaching labs for schools, universities, private and public institutes, developers, corporations, and government entities.
As a Laboratory Planner, you will…
- Build your knowledge of laboratory design topics while providing support to the architectural and lab planning staff, with the goal of becoming an expert in this special field.
- Develop and provide technical planning expertise and, eventually, leadership for laboratory projects.
- Have involvement in programming, design, fit-out planning, major equipment planning, building systems integration, laboratory casework systems design and specification, and construction administration.
- Prepare architectural documents, elevations, sections, and details and modifying those documents as required.
- Attend and eventually lead, laboratory planning meetings with design team and clients.
- Participate in professional development training.
- Integrate and advance sustainable design solutions into high-technology facilities.
- Assist in the development of standard laboratory design materials to be used by all ZGF offices.
- Assist in preparation of 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings and models.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with existing and potential clients. Participating in selected marketing and business development opportunities.
- Actively seek to expand knowledge in the design and planning of multiple laboratory types.
- Actively participate in educational, social, and professional events, including involvement in industry associations.
- Participate in a culture of excellent external and internal client service.
- Have potential travel to project locations outside of the greater Los Angeles area.
- Demonstrating creativity, passion and interest in design and planning of laboratories within technical facilities.
- Desire to expand knowledge of general, technical and regulatory concepts and requirements for laboratory design.
- Willing to be mentored in laboratory design and able to take on self-directed learning exercises.
- Some knowledge of laboratory planning, design, construction documents, construction administration and project construction will be helpful.
- Knowledge or interest in sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Proficiency or basic understanding of Revit and/or AutoCAD software.
- Experience in MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience with graphic software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign.
- Anticipating and developing solutions to technical and design problems following established standards. This includes research on laboratory equipment requirements and detailing of laboratory casework systems
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; ability to convey laboratory planning needs to designers and other team members. Ability to communicate assignment status and to request guidance when necessary.
- Comfortable with working in a team environment.
- Well organized and ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent in education or experience required.
- 2-5 years’ experience in an architectural or interior design firm.
- LEED credential required within 6 -12 months of employment.
- Cover Letter
*Portfolios ought to be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc.). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be a link to URL or one PDF attachment.
ZGF Architects LLP is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We invite qualified candidates to apply online posting cover letter, resume and portfolio.